Monday, February 11, 2013

My New Kindle Cover

I am now on my 2nd Kindle.  Kindle #1 got passed down to Angelfish.  I then purchased a new Kindle touch.  If I had it to do over again I would have kept the Kindle keyboard.  I liked it much better.  Maybe I can post about that another time.  When I got my new Kindle, it didn't fit in the cover I had.  So I needed a new one.  I wasn't willing to shell out 30+ dollars for a cover, so I started with a crocheted pouch.  That worked pretty good, but I really liked the covers that open like a book, instead of something I have to remove and then keep up with.  I've never been that good with the "keeping up with" portion of that.  Off to the internet I go!  I searched for a DIY cover for an ereader/Kindle.  I found lots and lots of fabric ones.  But then I'm back to the remove and keep up with problem that we've already discussed is my down fall.  But then, I found it!  The perfect solution.  Turning an old thrift store book into a cover!  I can no longer find the tutorial that started all of this, but if you do a search for "old books into kindle cover" you will find a plethora of them.  And without further ado, this is how I did it!

Step 1:  Go to your local thrift store, Goodwill, used bookstore, or raid your bookshelves for a suitable book.  I found one for $1.  As an added bonus, I look all cultured as if I am reading poetry when I'm out and about! Obviously it doesn't matter what condition the pages are in, but you want to look for one that has a cover in good condition and that is pretty close to the thickness of your ereader. 

Step 2: Carefully cut the binding on the inside to remove all of the pages. I used a razor and the pages all came out in one section. 



 
Step 3:  Reinforce the binding.  You can use book binding tape, but I didn't have any and I hate waiting.  So I raided my tape cabinet and came up with some tie dyed duct tape.  Doesn't really match, but it got the job done. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step 4:  You need to get some chip board.  I didn't know what this was when I started the project so you may not either.  That's okay.  Chip board is the cardboard like stuff in binders.  I had an old, not necessarily needed binder.  So, I just cut the plastic off and I had a perfectly usable sheet of chipboard.  You just need to cut it to size which isn't difficult with a razor or sharp utility knife.  Apparently you shouldn't use cardboard because it will bend and not give you the support you need. 
 
Step 5:  Once you get your chipboard cut, you need to figure out where to put the holes for the elastic to hold your ereader.  I just laid my Kindle on the top and eyeballed it.  Then I used a nail to punch a hole.  I am a firm believer in using what you have, or what is closest to you.  Once you've got your holes, thread some elastic through.  This was pretty tough because the holes were little.  But I used tape around the ends of the elastic and managed to get it through.  Then you will need to sew the elastic together on the back.  You can sew it by hand or using a machine.  I use the machine option because it is quicker.  Have I mentioned I hate waiting. 
 
This is what the back will look like.  When you turn it over you will have elastic in the corners to hold in your ereader.  I made the elastic as tight as I could because I wanted to make sure it held. 
 
Step 6:  Take some heavy duty glue (gorilla glue, or E6000 or whatever you have.  I wouldn't use school glue).  Put glue on the back of your chipboard and glue it to the cover of your book.  Then set something heavy on it and let it dry.  I let mine dry a few hours, which was very difficult because I really wanted to try it out.  But hang in there.  It is worth the wait. 
 
Step 7:  Put in your ereader and step back and admire how crafty and creative and frugal you are!! 

 
The final result!  I had everything I needed but the book, so this cover cost me $1!  Every time I see those expensive covers in the store, I smile to myself, amazed at how much money I've saved.  Money that can be spent on fabric, my other obsession!  I've been using it for a few months now and it is holding up great!


6 comments:

  1. I bet you could also use fabric and mod podge (or some other liquid-ey glue) to reinforce the binding. Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adapted your tutorial and made my own cover, and it was such a fun project. You can see the cover I made on pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/120400990010770100/

    Thanks for sharing and making it so straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would cover the chip board and put some felt on the inside of the top cover, to protect the face of the kindle.

    ReplyDelete